Saturday 21 February 2015

Craft - potato printing

One of the many things I've been wanting to try is printing, and last night (not today - today's blog is a bit of a cheat as I've spent most of the day tidying and sorting - no time for craft or other fun!) I sat down to make a card, and ended up having a bit of a play with potato printing. Like most things it actually took minimal time - it was just the thinking about it that took a while.  I made a card and 3 different A5 prints in about half an hour, using old potatoes, a (slightly blunt) kitchen knife and acrylic paint. Next time I will use a craft knife to get neater cuts, and maybe try using multiple colours.  But I'm quite pleased with these as a first attempt - I think I like the red one best, but I'll have another go at stripes as I think it could work ok if I do it slightly differently.



The printmaking book I got from the library (Printed Pattern by Rebecca and Yvonne Drury) has a really helpful section about potato printing and lots of good ideas. I'm very inspired to give it another go soon. The thing I really like about potato printing is that the main material is as cheap as chips (sorry!) so you don't need to worry about wasting money if you make a mistake or want to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not sure if anyone reads this. But if you do, and you'd like to comment, I'd get very excited. And would try to reply. Thanks!