Tuesday 24 February 2015

Cook - mmm soup

I love soup, especially homemade, so thick you can stand your spoon up in it soup.  The soup I made at a ridiculously early hour this morning wasn't quite that thick but it was a good way to use up lots of slightly limp looking bits from the fridge to create 5 lunch-portions of soup. It was based loosely (as always) on another recipe  (Covent Garden Russian Vegetable Soup) but with variations due to what was available in my fridge.



First I sauteed some chopped onion and leek in a mixture of oil and butter till quite soft, then added some diced potato and let that soften a bit. Next went in about half a finely sliced savoy cabbage, outer leaves and core removed. While that was softening slightly I added 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg and 1/2 tsp ground cumin and lots of black pepper.  Finally I covered the whole lot with boiling water and added a couple of teaspoons of vegetable bouillon powder and left to simmer for about 15 minutes (while I had a shower). Once everything was all cooked. I blended it up and portioned it out.  4 portions to go in the freezer for other days - I had the 5th portion today for lunch - yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not sure if anyone reads this. But if you do, and you'd like to comment, I'd get very excited. And would try to reply. Thanks!